Thursday, September 30, 2010

Tooting Your Own Horn 101 Part 2

The other day, in part 1 of Tooting Your Own Horn, I talked about how the way we publicize books and authors is changing because of the Internet. I mentioned some of the new methods I've read about and am implementing.

But there's more to selling books than the Internet.

Margarite Holt, the owner of the Hill Country Bookstore in Georgetown, Texas, said authors often think their work is done, having created the book, after a book is published when in reality the author's job is just beginning.

I have to admit what she said scared me some even though I knew it was true.

I've called this series of posts, Tooting Your Own Horn, for a reason. I don't know about you, but I was taught not to brag, not to show off, not to boast about myself in anyway. All this publicity stuff has a negative connotation for me.

There are many ways I need to be more assertive to sell books, and I know that. But, I'm not sure I'm going to change my basic personality this late in life. I'm just glad I'm as assertive as I am now. There was a time when the word shy might be more descriptive than anything else. I've gotten past that over the years, but I still hesitate to draw attention to myself.

What I plan to do now is think more about why Where Love Once Lived should reach more readers. It tells about God's love and there may be a reader out there somewhere who needs to hear the story.

Let me know how you handle this problem of what I think of as bragging.

No comments:

Post a Comment